Dominion Warns Customers of Utility Scams
By Connect-Bridgeport Staff on November 21, 2017
- Use aggressive threats to disconnect service (usually within an hour or less)
- Insist on immediate payment, over the phone
- Request a pre-paid card to be used for payment over the phone
- But customers can protect themselves and their community by remembering:
- Never purchase a pre-paid card to avoid shut off— we will not insist on just one type of payment. You can pay in-person at a designated payment center (locations listed here) or through your online account. All payment options available are listed here
- Verify what you’re being told about your account. Hang up and call us at 866-DOM-HELP to confirm whether or not a payment is due, not any other number.
- Collect information from the scammer, such as phone numbers or names, to help us and law enforcement track and spread the word to customers.