Healthy Kids First: Roasted Chicken and Vegetables? Yummy and Healthy!
By Mandy Curry on November 21, 2012 from Healthy Kids First
Thanksgiving Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
1 whole chicken or turkey (3-4 lbs)
2 lbs red potatoes unpeeled, cut into cubes
2 bags baby carrots
2 medium onions, cut into 1 inch slices
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 stick, unsalted butter
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp fresh sage
4 pinches salt
4 pinches freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut carrots, onions, celery, and potatoes into similar size pieces and place in a roasting pan.
2. Drizzle vegetables with oil and season with salt and pepper.
1. Preheat oven to 450° F
2. Remove whole chicken from packaging; DO NOT RINSE.
3. With your fingers, separate the skin from the chicken breast area by pushing your fingers up under the skin towards the neck.
4. Cut butter into slices and place butter under the skin on top of the breast in the area you just separated.
5. Season the cavity and the outside skin with salt.
6. Tuck in wings under the legs using either toothpicks or tying with trussing.
7. Place fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage sprigs into the cavity of the chicken.
8. Using approximately 3 feet of twine, center the twine under the rear of the chicken and bring the ends up over the end of the legs. Cross the twine above the chicken and pull tight so the chicken legs are pulled together.
9. Then wrap the string around the end of each leg and tie a simple knot.
10. Cut lemon in half and place both halves inside the cavity of the chicken.
11. Season all sides of the chicken with thyme leaves and sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle a little oil over the chicken.
12. Place chicken inside roasting pan on top of the vegetables.
13. Roast chicken for 25 minutes at 450° F, then reduce the heat to 400° F and cook for an additional 35-45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the thighs reaches 165° F and the juices run clear.