The annual book sale was a great success earning nearly $2,000 for the library; the profits will be used to purchase new books and materials. Thanks go out to all the volunteers who helped to set up and take down the hundreds of boxes of books. Special thanks go to Jean Kelley for all her hard work organizing and running the book sales. Any overflow is still available on a table in the hallway. Prices remain the same and are posted on the wall.
As everyone knows at the end of each year the lists appear of the best books and movies. Amazon, the online super-vendor, is getting started early by releasing their Editors’ 2012 Best Books of the Year So Far for new books published between January through June. Accompanying the top 10 books over all, are also lists of the top 10 books in Biographies & Memoirs, Business & Investing, Cookbooks, Food & Wine, Crafts, Hobbies & Home, Literature & Fiction, Mystery & Thrillers, Nonfiction, Romance, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Comics & Graphic Novels as well as the best books for Teens, Middle Grade and Picture Books. These lists are all available at the Amazon site.
The Amazon Books editors’ picks for the Top 10 Best books of the Year So Far are:
1. “Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai University” by Katherine Boo.
2. “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn.
3. “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green.
4. “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” by Ben Fountain.
5. “The Passage of Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson” by Robert A. Caro.
6. “The Orphan Master’s Son” by Adam Johnson.
7. “Tell the Wolves I’m Home” by Carol Rifka Brunt.
8. “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail” by Cheryl Strayed.
9. “The Age of Miracles” by Karen Thompson Walker.
10. “Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power” by Steve Coll.
Please check our Web site for availability as well as the WVDELI site to see if the books are available in e-book or audiobook format.