It's Happening: A Tale of Two Miracles: Katy & Jaxon's Successful Kidney Transplant and Aaron Walden's Journey Back to Health

By Julie Perine on December 10, 2017 from It’s Happening via

Of all the blogs written in this past year, none have generated more interest, passion and perhaps prayer than recent writings about little Jaxon Cummings and his kidney donor Katy Pigott or Bridgeport High School graduate, Aaron Walden, who was seriously injured in an early-November car accident in Morgantown.
I want to update you on the miraculous outcome of these stories; what your prayers in action have done. If you happen to be sweating the small stuff - worrying about shopping, wrapping, decorating and the like - sit back, read and praise God for still working miracles.
This is the face of beauty. That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw it. This is Katy Pigott of Wallace, a 22-year-old dental assistant and Lincoln High School graduate. Out of the blue, she offered one-year-old Jaxon– the son of Shinnston’s Amy and Dustin Cummings, one of her kidneys.
After experiencing a seizure and ultimately airlifted to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in July, the toddler was diagnosed with Nephronophthis, a genetic disorder of the kidneys. He was in desperate need of a kidney and Katy decided that since she had two, she would give him one.
Preliminary blood tests indicated compatibility, as did tissue typing and cross-matching. It was a match!
After some setbacks and one surgery postponement, the transplant took place Tuesday at UPMC Montefiore and went so very well. In fact, Katy posted this photo just hours after giving such a sacrificial gift. But she was very adamant that she gave God all the glory for what he had done.
I got to chat with Amy the other day, just after the post-kidney transplant doctor had left little Jaxon. He said his creatinine levels were the lowest he had ever seen, meaning that Katy’s kidney was a remarkable match. For levels to be that low so soon after surgery was what he called unimaginable and amazing.
Wednesday night, he started his kidney 
rejection medicine. As of Thursday morning, Jaxon was resting, watching his cartoons and had slept most of the night before. He was tired and quiet, but that was to be expected. He was taking Albumin and Lasix to get the kidney working full force. Jaxon is in ICU and will be for at least 14 days from surgery. Once he is ultimately discharged, he will be seen once a week at Children’s Hospital and two to three times a week, possibly at United Hospital Center, for lab work.
Katy has been released from the hospital, but is staying close to UPMC in case she experiences difficulties. By Christmas Day - if all goes well - she will be able to return to her normal activities. 
Amy and Dustin, who works at Oliverio’s Ristorante in Bridgeport, want the community to know how much they appreciate the prayers for Katy and Jaxon.
“The outpouring of love from our community and in other states is absolutely amazing and it’s not only touched everyone else’s hearts, but ours as well,” Amy said. “From the Ecards to the prayers to the pictures of their support posted on Facebook, it just warms my heart.”
Katy said she feels wonderful that her little friend Jaxon will get to live his life like a little boy should. As you might have guessed, the four of them have become extremely close.
This is the face of determination. Aaron Walden, a 2017 BHS graduate and WVU freshman, has been fighting for his life for the past month. On Nov. 8, he suffered extensive injuries when he was involved in a multiple-vehicle accident which shut down northbound lanes of I-79 in Monongalia County and sent eight to the hospital. With a sizeable had laceration, his ear hanging by a thread, two broken jaws, an orbital/eye socket injury, fractured vertebrae, broken shoulder blade and ribs and lacerated kidney, liver and adrenal gland, he was in critical condition at Ruby Memorial Hospital and as of the Nov. 20 blog, had not regained consciousness.
Then, on Nov. 22 – the day before Thanksgiving - he woke up.
“This is the best Thanksgiving ever,” said his sister Danielle, adding that her little brother had pulled their mom down to give her a kiss on the cheek, bringing everyone in the room to tears of happiness.
Aaron had a temporary tracheotomy placed so al the tubes came out of his mouth and his sedation medicine was decreased. After 19 days in the surgical intensive care unit, Aaron’s ventilator was removed as he began breathing on his own.
On Nov. 27, he was moved to a step-down unit and just a few days later – because he progressed so well – he was transferred to Health South Rehabilitation Hospital, where he is receiving extensive physical and occupational therapy as he continues to get stronger every day.
On Dec. 2, he was reunited with his dog, Cooper.
“Aaron was allowed to play with him in the lobby and walk him around outside,” Danielle said. “It was seriously the sweetest moment when they were reunited … They are best buds.”
A 2014 BHS grad and member of the WVU Danceline, Danielle has been attending WVU basketball games and showing her blue and gold spirit. Whenever possible, she’s been at her little brother’s side with their parents Michelle and Ron.  
They are so proud of Aaron and so grateful for the community’s support.
“Please tell everybody we truly appreciate the continued thoughts and prayers for Aaron,” she said.
These families look forward to a merry little Christmas and don’t need a single thing to make that happen.

Connect Bridgeport
© 2019