Green Your Summer: Keeping your Kids Safe
- Learn the schedule of when service vehicles are in the area. Garbage trucks, recycling vehicles, postal vehicles and other package delivery services keep regular schedules within each neighborhood.
- It takes service vehicles about three times as long to stop as a passenger car, so never cut in front of or stop suddenly in front of one. Always keep a safe distance from a truck.
- Vehicles like Waste Management trucks make frequent stops and often back up, so don’t follow the truck closely on a bike, skateboard, rollerskates or rollerblades.
- Every Waste Management truck is equipped with a back-up alarm. Whether you are walking or driving near one of our trucks, if you hear this sound or see the white back-up lights, be sure to move out of the way of the truck.
- Keep children and pets at a safe distance from the truck. Never get near or climb on the truck. Always keep portable basketball hoops away from trash bins or carts, and never on the street. Do not play or stand in or around trash bins or carts, since you may not know when the truck is coming to empty them.
- There are numerous areas where the visibility is restricted for your driver. If you can’t see him/her in the eyes, they most likely cannot see you.
- Do not attempt or allow children to help with loading any garbage into the truck. In addition to moving truck parts, debris can fall out of the truck when its contents are being compressed.